New York, USA, United Nations
This week, the United Nations (UN) had a meeting on the Question of Western Sahara before
the Special Political and Decolonisation Committee (Fourth Committee).
The meeting took pale in New, United States of America (USA). Coordinator with MINURSO, the mission of the UN in Westen Sahara.
The Frente POLISARIO represented by Ambassador Sidi Mohamed Omar is the Representative of the Frente POLISARIO at the United Nations who stood on this meeting on the Question of Western Sahara before the Special Political and Decolonisation Committee (Fourth Committee) of the UN General Assembly
Ambassador Sidi said in his statement “Thank you Madam Chair, We are very pleased to see you chairing this important Committee, as you represent South Africa, the country whose long walk to freedom is a great inspiration to all those who continue to fight against colonialism and subjugation.”
“Distinguished Representatives of Member States,
We are also pleased to address again the Fourth Committee on behalf of the Frente POLISARIO, the legitimate and sole Representative of the people of Western Sahara in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly and the Security Council.” The statement revealed.
Moreover the statement said time does not allow to provide a detailed account of the current situation of Western Sahara. “I will therefore briefly highlight some fundamental facts that underpin the question of Western Sahara as an issue of decolonisation on the agenda of this
Committee since 1963.” Ambassador Sidi said in the statement.
He however highlited the following points on the meeting concerning the issue of Western Sahara;-
First, the people of Western Sahara have an inalienable and non-negotiable right to self-determination and independence, a right that cannot be affected by the lapse of time, or by the illegal realities created by force by the occupying state of Morocco in the Territory since 1975.
Second, the General Assembly recognises the legitimacy of our struggle for self-determination and independence and has requested all States to give our people with all necessary moral and material support in our struggle. The Sahrawi people will never give up their inalienable and non-negotiable right to self-determination and
independence and we will continue to use all legitimate means to defend our rights.
Third, there is no alternative to the free exercise by the people of Western Sahara of their right to self-determination and independence. Policies of fait accompli, carried out by the occupying, are doomed to failure. The sooner the occupying state realises this fact, the better it will be for peace and security in the region.
Ambassador Sidi added to the meeting through his statement and revealed and said “Madam Chair, Distinguished Representatives of Member States, It is indeed a shame and an insult to the United Nations and its Charter to see a rogue state, such as the occupying state Morocco, coming before this Committee, along with its “apologists”, to talk about “international law” and “human rights”, while it continues to illegally occupy parts of a Territory on the agenda of this Committee and to oppress its people for decades. This is an objectionable situation that can never be tolerated.” He affirmed
“In concluding, I would like to quote Nelson Mandela, the great son of Africa, who once said that: “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in
a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others”
“You, Member States, are called upon to respect and enhance the freedom of the people of Western Sahara and to work to ensure the end of the colonisation of the last colony in Africa, so we could see the end of one of the ugliest and most brutal chapters of the history of our continent.
I thank you for your attention.” Concluded
The Western Sahara, given its name in 1975 by the UN, the is the last African colonial state yet to achieve its independence. About 20% of the territory is controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR); the remaining 80% of the territory is occupied and administered by neighboring Morocco.
It’s upon the Africa and the world to raise voices so that SADR can be free from colonial power.
However about 84 UN member states and South Ossetia either currently recognize the SADR or have recognized it in the past.